1. Where can I start with my data management?
Follow the stages outlined in Data management process at Hanken. These concrete stages offer Hanken students and researchers, respectively, a comprehensive and thorough guide that you can trace the whole data management process easily, clearly, and closely.
Researchers start with writing a data management plan (DMP). Use Hanken's DMP template or other Public DMP templates (with Hanken's DMP guidance integrated) in DMPTuuli to help you write and update a DMP (See DMPTuuli with Hanken's DMP guidance and DMP template).
Data management starts already in the research planning stage. In this stage, researchers should write a data management plan and complete the checklist that covers the whole data management process. See DMP guides and checklist.
2. What are the must-dos for my data management?
As Hanken students and researchers, you are responsible for complying with good data management practices that include Hanken's ethical research guidelines on data protection, data security, and data sharing based on legislation and research integrity. You need to:
(1) Fill in data processing description or write a data management plan (DMP).
Hanken students need to fill in the e-form Record of data processing activities for students.
Hanken researchers and PhD students shall write a data management plan (DMP) with the DMPTuuli tool. The DMP you create with DMPTuuli serves at the same time as a Record of Data Processing Activities, which you can share on request with participants/subjects/respondents of your research. Use Hanken's DMP template or other Public DMP templates (with Hanken's DMP guidance integrated) in DMPTuuli to help you create and update a DMP (See DMPTuuli with Hanken's DMP guidance and DMP template).
(3) You need to inform your research participants if you collect personal data from them or if the personal data are received from a source other than the research participants. Modify the consent message templates to inform your research participants.
(4) Store and back up data securely during research. Use data storage services provided and maintained by Hanken. See Data storage and backup.
Note that there are different data management processes with different instructions and must-dos for BSc/MSc/eMBA students and for researchers and PhD students. See these two processes outlined in Data management process at Hanken.
If you are a Hanken’s MSc/BSc/EMBA student planning your thesis research, you need to fill in Hanken's DMP template in DMPTuuli (with help from your supervisor) in case that: