Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Finnish as a second language
This guide is aimed for students learning Finnish as a second language.
- ePress Newspapers published in Finland (in Finnish and Swedish). Access only in the Hanken network. (LM Tietopalvelut)
- PressDisplay Newspapers and magazines from 100 countries, including Finland. Can also be used as PressReader (app).
Finnish society and culture
- This is Finland Things you should and shouldn't know (Ministry for Foreign Affairs)
- YLE Finnish Broadcasting Company
- News in English Yle Finnish Broadcasting Company
- YLE uutiset selkosuomeksi kertoo uutiset helpolla suomen kielellä. Selkouutiset sopivat esimerkiksi suomen kielen opiskelijoille.
- Helsinki Times. News from Finland
- Selkosivut Tietoa ja ajankohtaisia asioita selkosuomeksi
- Suomi.fi One access point to citizen's services in Finland
- Finland essentials - Links to organisations and webservices offered by the public administration.
- Finland Nationalencyklopedin (in Swedish)
- Finland The World Factbook (CIA)
- Swedish in Finland Why is Finland a bilingual country? (Folktinget. The Swedish Assembly of Finland)
- Finsk grammatik (på svenska) - Finnish grammar (in English) (RedFox Masters)
- Learn Finnish Video tutorials: Vocabulary, grammar, expressions, travel dictionary (RedFox Masters)
- Uuno Uuno portrays four interactive comics on everyday life situations. For every story you have additional information on Finland and Finns, including some odd grammatical bits. Light and entertaining introduction to the Finnish grammar. (Tampere Polytechnic)
- Welcome to learn Finnish Learn the basics of Finnish language. Tervetuloa oppimaan suomea. Suomen kielen alkeet. (Yle)
- Venla – Finnish for Foreigners Finnish online language materials: lessons, vocabulary, grammar, exercises, blog.
- Ymmärrä suomea Luetunymmärtämiskurssi suomea vieraana kielenä opiskeleville. (Opetushallitus)
Language course in Finnish as audio books.
Need help to get started with the audio books? Please ask the library staff!
The Finnish course above is available also with the following language combinations:
Search for books and e-books
Search in Hanna, the search service for printed and electronic material.
For a larger selection of Finnish language courses use Helmet - Helsinki City Library.
Search in Tria, the library catalogue of the Tritonia Academic Library, Vaasa.